In honor of Nicholas’ 26th birthday today Nicholas is sharing with us stories and life lessons he’s learned throughout his life, from honing in on his life vision, to making health a top priority, finding discipline in your finances while still living the life you’ve dreamed, and the value of investing in lifelong relationships.
Timestamped Show Notes:
- [ 03:58 ] No Training Wheels: Foundations of Success.
- [ 07:34 ] Family Roles and Living Within Your Means
- [ 13:11 ] Commitment and Decisions.
- [ 14:51 ] Education is Freedom and Power.
- [ 20:16 ] Vision: Step One for Life.
- [ 21:25 ] Mentors, Self Investment, and Growth.
- [ 29:15 ] Fear vs. Opportunity
- “When I was two years old my dad pushed me down a hill on my bike without training wheels.” Without training wheels falling is okay, is there a higher chance of falling, or failing, or getting hurt? Yes. No one has ever gotten stronger by using a crutch. Training wheels are definitely a crutch, it keeps from falling but it also keeps you from learning how to balance. It won’t help you in the long run but it will keep you from getting hurt. “My dad realized that I wouldn’t have training wheels for the rest of my life.” Stop using training wheels in your own life, they keep you from falling but also keep you from learning. How can you fail fast and move on faster?
- There is a big difference between commitment and passion. There is also a big difference between responsibility and passion. You can be passionate about something that isn’t your responsibility. In that case, it’s okay to go out and try new things. But when you have key things that are your responsibilities that’s when you make the commitment, when you don’t feel like doing something you still follow through in doing it.
- Education gives you the power to control your circumstances to change them for the best. “You aren’t fat, fat doesn’t define who you are. You aren’t broke.” Broke and fat are just things you are experiencing right now. Can it change? Absolutely. As you get educated you can change and learn.
- Finding you’re ultimate vision is step one for life. What transformation do you want to create for the world or your life? What are the different ways that will get you there? You may not know all the answers, but you may know the ones that won’t get you there. It’s easy to say “I know my ultimate vision and this isn’t going to get me there.” As Les Brown says, “I’d rather be prepared and opportunity never come than opportunity come and not be prepared.”
- “I’d rather do what I know is right and fail than do what I know is wrong and succeed.” Stop doing things that you hate to look good in front of everyone else. When you start living with the mentality “I don’t care if I fail in front of everyone as long as I don’t fail myself, I’m doing what I should be doing.” you’ll start having the biggest breakthroughs of your life.